For most of the first half of the 20th Century, Wayne Junction served as the Reading Railroad's counterpart to the Pennsylvania Railroad's North Philadelphia Station.
The station building was originally constructed in 1881 and rebuilt in 1901, with the Wilson Brothers & Company as the architect. An old post card once boasted that "more trains stop here than at any other station in the world."
Wayne Junction served a very busy and prosperous business and residential area, drawing from North Philadelphia, Nicetown, Tioga, Logan, Germantown and other points.
In addition to the extensive commuter network, service was provided by the Reading Railroad on a regular basis to New York via the Jersey Central and to Bethlehem and beyond on the Lehigh Valley Railroad to Upstate New York and Toronto. Beginning in the 1890s, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad passenger trains between Washington and New York City, including its famed Royal Blue, also stopped at Wayne Junction, using Reading and Jersey Central rails north of Philadelphia.
Until the B&O discontinued passenger service on the line in April, 1958, it provided regular service to Washington with through sleepers to the West, including Chicago, St. Louis, and Los Angeles on such trains as the Capitol Limited and National Limited. The station provided a baggage room and lunch room, as well as the usual telegraph office. The surrounding neighborhood was a busy shopping area and provided additional services.